Beauty Industry Skincare Trends and Solutions
Adverse climate and geographical relocations can often affect day-to-day facial skin care protocols. In the United States however, one could feel extremely fortunate for the skincare industry is one step ahead by bringing to market products and skin care treatment solutions that are result oriented. Today’s consumers are better educated and savvy when it comes to getting their individual goals met along with the confidence that their skincare investment will actually lead to improvements and wont hesitate for a second to get it. Consumer supply and demand has brought a plethora of services in menus being offered and each leading to cumulative positive effects, which is a win-win for producers, researchers and consumers.
Clinically it can be observed that individual’s who periodically get skincare treatments over time and follow to any extent product recommendations; exhibit facial skin that is firmer, better in texture and more youthful. One of the services contributing in achieving positive results is microdermabrasion treatment. Below is an image of an actual person showing better skin texture, fine line reduction and softening with new collagen deposition and elastin fibers via UV light dermal reading with skin analysis system.
Microdermabrasion Skincare Treatments
Microdermabrasion is still a highly popular facial skin treatment since its introduction around 2005 for it provides a bridge between the less invasive corrective skincare treatments such as mild peels like alpha-hydroxyl acids or lactic and the more advanced skincare services such as lasers or needling. The main reason is that this treatment especially in a series; although each gives a positive effect, will make the skin firmer, increase epidermal (top layer of skin) and dermal evenness when healthier cells move to the top filling gaps or irregular shaped damaged cells. When the surface of the skin is more even and stronger it will respond better and heal faster from other advanced treatments or environmental changes than skin surface that has not undergone any prior stimulation. Interesting to note also is that the suction along with the exfoliation from the hand piece during the microdermabrasion treatment stimulates collagen and elastin production. Our dermal skin layer beneath the top epidermis has fibroblasts cells that often become dormant from lack of stimulation and microdermabrasion treatments stimulate them to once again resume their efficient role in producing elastin fibers and collagen. Consequently, this leads to an increased turgid and stronger facial skin surface as collagen remodeling benefits the top surface. When following up via home care with skin care products that continue the stimulation with nutritional and anti-aging ingredients it further leads to the enhanced skin restoration process.
Important to note also is the recommendation to wait to exercise following microdermabrasion treatment from 24 to 48 hours while skin remodeling occurs with collagen and elastin fibers being deposited. The skin will later feel better to the touch , tighter and more turgid. Below in images we show some of the recommended lymphatic movements that are followed during a microdermabrasion treatment.
In conclusion, any mechanical action as with a hand-piece following specific stimulating or exfoliating movements and or with chemical stimulus such as with beneficial chemical peel solutions will evoke a skincare or integumentary system response; for it will stimulate cellular repair and cellular activity that will lead to restoration. Any restorative action on the skin surface will have a qualitative and quantitative effect that eventually leads to better and healthier skin. It is an added benefit that should include daily proper nutrition, physical exercise and a general positive outlook on life. Below are some frequently asked questions concerning the before and after care for microdermabrasion treatments.
Frequently asked questions and protocols concerning Microdermabrasion:
Are there any contraindications for microdermabrasion treatments?
yes, below in bullet list are the most notable
• Active or weeping acne (with pustules etc. for it could spread the condition such as stage 3 to 4 acneic conditions). It does best on non-weeping clogged pores however.
• Active Rosacea. Some clients may elect partial microdermabrasion that goes around the eyes and mouth in the areas not affected by the rosacea condition. Estheticians use special fine gentle hand-piece tips for these areas and at reduced vacuum pressure. Most will also recommend skin care products specific to improve this condition.
• Clients with Diabetes should not be treated
• Pregnant women should not be treated and after first trimester with medical release permission. Always consult with physicians for some treatments no matter how mild even facial or body massage could be stimulating to pregnant women. Intake in consultation form is very important and one that most professionals follow and have clients sign.
• Recent herpes outbreaks or herpetic tendency around lip areas. Clients that get herpetic conditions around the lips should write on their intake consultation form. A prescription and physician approval may be required such as a prescription for Rx Zorvirax that normally gets taken for two days before and two days after microdermabrasion. Most skincare professionals may avoid the vermillion and all lip border areas altogether for often this minimal border area is not needed to touch or treat. Skincare consultation intake form and update at each visit assists with medical updates.
• undiagnosed lesions, warts and or other skin trauma conditions should not be treated. Those with autoimmune disorders should not be treated.
• Patients on Accutane for acne or other doctor prescribed advanced acne medications should not be treated. Also, after doctor treatments it may take up to a year after stopping meds such as with Accutane for them to be treated for regular skincare treatments. A doctor’s note is required and skincare professional refers them back to the medical setting.
Are there any precautions needed before or after a microdermabrasion treatment?
Yes, to get the best results and avoid concerns it is best to:
• Follow the rule of Three: No Retinoid/Retinol or Alpha hydroxyl acids for at least 3 days before the treatment, and for at least 3 days afterward.
• No tanning, UV bed lamp or spray tan before and while undergoing treatments.
• Refrain from collagen injections, electrolysis, body waxing and or other depilatories for at least 7 days.
• Avoid sun, wear a sunscreen SPF of 15 or higher and avoid aerobic exercises for at least the first 48 hours.
• Skincare products for home care to support the professional treatments should be used to enhance and maintain results.
What conditions can be treated?
Conditions such as facial lines (especially around the eyes, near center of eyebrows, forehead), acne scarring and uneven texture etc., all benefit from microdermabrasion treatments. Other skin conditions such as age spots, clogged pores, enlarged pores, hyperpigmentation (brown spots on specific areas), some stretchmark’s, mild laugh lines and hyper keratinization (overly retained epidermal cells) that affect most people as they get older benefit the most. However, the most sought out benefit and condition is for anti-aging and its preventive effects since microdermabrasion stimulates new elastin and collagen production, which is like the matrix glue that holds everything together on the dermis.
What is involved in a treatment?
After review of client intake form, skin analysis, and a thorough facial cleansing, the microdermabrasion hand piece from a crystal or diamond tip crystal free system (both are clinically beneficial; crystal free is great for dryer skin that is more delicate and crystal systems have a more drying effect and great for acne prone skin) is then precisely moved along the surface of the skin, exfoliating the dead irregular shaped cells and help to even out the imperfections. After the face and neck area at a lower setting have been exfoliated (two passes across often sufficient) the areas are then cooled down with cleansing and nutritional solutions. A hydrating cooling mask is applied just as in a full facial; later followed by skin type or condition serums. Serums could be anti-aging, brown spots preventive or just hydrating. Following microdermabrasion all your skin care products at home will penetrate better and produce better results. Depending on the skincare professional and objectives desired by the clients, steps in the microdermabrasion may be slightly different or even enhanced by adding light therapy and or other add -on.
Enjoy your favorite Colorado spa or skincare destination.